Monday, June 15, 2009

Its Father's Day week...and I have been thinking (much) about the different men in my life who are dads....my own dad, my sweet husband, my brother, my son-in-law....and I love each of them in a special way. I hope to recognize each of them this week while I blog and hope they each have a wonderful Father's Day this coming weekend!

Today....I am thinking about the wonderful father of my own children - my sweet hubbie! His dependability, his practicality, his loyality have been the rocks of stability that all of us - all of the kids and especially I - have clung to...especially during these last three years of grief. Dads are often "forgotten grievers" but he has managed to support each of us..and has grown himself along the way. He is even becoming somewhat of a "softy" in his old age! :)

I thought I would share one of his favorite recipes. It is so incredibly easy that I almost hesitate to share it - but he loves it! Shepherd's Pie!! Just the name of this dish can make my children cringe....it is NOT one of their favorites but, growing up, they knew every time it was Dad's turn to pick dinner, there was a good chance, it would be shepherd's pie for dinner! Hubbie just loves any dish that mixes everything together - the rest of us, not so much!

This dinner is definitely a complete meal in one dish deal! But it does taste yummy!

Shepherd's Pie

Brown 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef in a skillet. I season my ground beef with salt, pepper, garlic salt and some dried onions. Season yours to taste. Drain the beef and turn the heat to low. Stir in two cans of golden mushroom soup and 1 to 1 1/2 soup cans of water (depending on how soupy you like it). The soup turns into a tasty gravy so I tend towards more water. (I believe a more traditional shepherd's pie would have mushrooms added here....but we are not big mushroom fans - especially Hubbie so that would really ruin it for him!) Simmer on a low boil while you make your mashed potatoes.

Make mashed potatoes your favorite way. I do not care for "homemade" mashed potatoes - a lot of work and not as tasty. I also do not care for the potatoes flakes but usually use fresh mashed potatoes, such as Ore Ida in the refrigerator section, that you microwave. I season these to taste with milk, butter, salt/pepper and sometimes sour cream.

When the potatoes are ready, transfer the ground beef mixture to a casserole dish. Layer on top of that a favorite vegetable of your choice. I have used peas, corn, peas/carrots or even mixed vegetables. This is often a good time to use up leftover veggies in the fridge. Spread the mashed potatoes on top of the vegetables.

Bake for 20-25 minutes at 375 until the potatoes are golden brown and the gravy is bubbly. If your pan is shallow, you might want to put your casserole dish on a baking pan to catch boil overs. Serve with fresh dinner rolls or biscuits and it is a complete dinner.

If your hubbie is a real meat and potatoes kind of guy....don't be surprised if he takes "too many" helpings!

5 comments: