Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Ready for Christmas?

Thank you to those who left notes of real encouragement for me yesterday. Truly, God promises to meet our every need...but one day at a time. I am encouraged today - and especially looking forward to the little Christmas party I have each year with my little ones at church! How sweet they are..

I came across this poem while reading some on-line devotions (this one from Girlfriends in God) this morning. I hear so many people talk about wanting to "simplify" this Christmas (although I don't see a lot of evidence toward to that) but it really comes down to priorities...where is our focus this holiday?

"Ready for Christmas," she said with a sigh
As she gave a last touch to the gifts piled high...
Then wearily sat for a moment and read
Til soon, very soon, she was nodding her head.
Then quietly spoke a voice in her dream,
"Ready for Christmas, what do you mean?"
She woke with a start and a cry of despair.
"There's so little time and I've still to prepare.
Oh, Father! Forgive me, I see what You mean!
Yes, more than the giving of gifts and a tree.
It's the heart swept clean that He wanted to see,
A heart that is free from bitterness and sin.
So be ready for Christmas - and ready for Him.

3 comments:

  1. This is just beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing the poem. It really ministered to me today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful poem, Jennifer! What a great way to help all of us keep things in perspective during this wonderful time of year! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank YOU for being an encourager to us.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete